Transportation

I've been thinking about this post for the last few days. I'd like to... enlighten/expose/share with? those who haven't spent time in Uganda with the three primary means of transportation in Kampala (capital city).

From most expensive to least:
Special Hire - the special hire is basically the taxi that we're all familiar with. The only difference is that you call one in advance to pick you up, rather than flag one down on the side of the road. It's a pretty big to deal to hire a personal taxi here and most don't do it.

Boda Boda - This is mos def my favorite means of transportation in Kampala. Everywhere you look there are motocycles dodging in and out of traffic, carrying 1-3 passengers (not counting the driver). The principle of the boda is very similar to the American taxi... flag one down, haggle about the price a bit and get from point A to B as fast as possible. I used my little point and shoot (SD750) to take a few quick shots on the Boda on my way here to the café. And know that this is LIGHT traffic:


(sorry for the lame quality... I'm keeping things as simple as possible and super small files)

Taxi - the taxi system here is basically like public transportation. 15 passenger vans everywhere, on route with cheap fares. on every taxi there's the driver, of course, and a 'conductor'. The conductor opens and closes the sliding door and also takes your money. During the day when there are 'traffic police' standing on the roads, Taxis generally keep it 1 person per seat... however, at night they'll pack 'em in.


and that's it for now... I'm gonna go find a boda boda and see if I can track down Sam.

4 Comments:

  1. Kat Mitchell said...
    sounds intense. it'd be nice to have better public transport here. are you even going to remember how to drive when you get back? :^)
    Anna Kristina said...
    I thought at first the boda boda would be like the tricycle in the Philippines, which is actually a motorcycle with side car. So you actually ride right behind them... small personal space, 'ey? :)
    Robin said...
    your mom told me about this space and its wonderful! know we are praying for you each day ~~ soak it all up while you can!
    tommy and robin t
    margomay said...
    aww! I am so jealous! I wish we had motorcycle things in zambia, those sound so fun. I actually was in Botswana at a game park for like 2 nights, and I know you mentioned you were going there. MIss you and stay safe, prayen for ya

    love margo

Post a Comment




 

Copyright 2006| Blogger Templates by GeckoandFly modified and converted to Blogger Beta by Blogcrowds.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.